Before The Rain - "Frail" (2011)

Serenity
Metálico(a) Compulsivo(a)
Registado: sábado mar 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Before The Rain - "Frail" (2011)

Mensagempor Serenity » segunda jun 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Judging for the colors of the cover, the image included and the title of the album, the most rash will have a brave surprise when they take contact with the sounds of this "Frail". For the ones most accustomed to these surprises in the Metal scene, the cover of this second album demonstrates a clear escape to a standard view that we have of Metal cover albums and to look, legitimately, for some distinction. However, it will not be only for the cover/artwork that this Portuguese band will be " in the mouth of the people "; its music, in other words, the principal leitmotiv. Deserved, of this you can be sure..
Since it went out "... One Day Less ", in 2007, Before The Rain showed up like one of the most solid proposals in the current line of Doom/Death Metal that is done in portuguese ground and trod his distance, more or less troubled, but always secure of the objectives that the band had the way of this new stage.
Looking to this new record, we can say that it sounds a little bit strange, as he does not seem the successor of "... One Day Less ", giving the clear idea that is lacking an album round about the way that prepares us for this new proposal. The differences are quite well-known, the growth of the band was very significant, the approach to the songs gained new outlines and the Before The Rain of today is already not similar with the ones 4 years ago; they are more ripe enough, cohesive, and the result is more stocking-dozen of wonders that have been leaving us the head to the wheel, where the fury interferes in such a natural form with so simple and sweet passages, where the chanted, sung and roared words coexist graciously while the minutes go by and everything fits naturally. The ones who already had the opportunity to appreciate these new songs live, will not deny the strength, power and involvement they gain in live acts. Here, seem that the Katatonia, My Dying Bride and Anathema (in his nearest version of the atmospheric rock) merge and not seldom these bands climb to the top of our thought, in so far as they could be touching very much any one of these compositions. But, strangely, the influences here sound very well.
This Before The Rain are different, musically and in its lineup. A deep remodelling in the band, with new elements, of which Gary Griffith is outstanding (of the North Americans Morgion), and some new musical approaches do from this band and from this "Frail" a serious case. Fragile, weak, delicate? Yes, completely that but, above all, mighty. (17.4/20)
Temple Of Doom Metal

Featuring none other than Gary Griffith (ex-Morgion) on vocals, today we have Before the Rain and their killer sophomore album “Frail”. It’s a rare occasion that we actually take time to listen (let alone review) albums that somebody else recommends to us since we are very busy listening and reviewing everything we get from labels and PR companies, but “Frail” caught our attention since the first song and it’s too good of an album to not tell people about it.
Four years after their impressive “...One Day Less” debut release, the band comes back with a revamped lineup and a richer and broader sound. Taking full advantage of Gary’s vocals, the band’s sound shifts between traditional growls and clean ‘regular’ doom style vocals. The music is a lot better crafted and the hopelessness feeling given by the melodic passages is as good as it can get.
With the opening “And the World Ends There”, the band quickly shows the level of maturity they achieved since their last release. The mixture of vocals is done magically and the melodic passages are excellently crafted, some sections of this song will remind you of older Anathema (“The Silent Enigma” and “Pentecost” era). The weeping guitars near this song make it very enjoyable for fans of the genre.
“Shards” takes the same merciless approach and keeps things very slow paced and melancholic. The tension is greatly maintained by the slow and repetitive minimalist melodic/depressive passages. The singing around the 7th minute is just amazing and creates the whole hopeless feeling like in no other release this 2011.
The crushing 17 minute track “Breaking the Waves” is an emotional ride and with the female vocals it’s just 1000 times better than any other song of this album. “A Glimpse towards the Sun” features a more dynamic sound that greatly enhances the flow of this already very impressive release. In the next 16 minute epic (“Frail”) the band submerges the listener into another monumental track that features different movements and moods.
As we come to the end with “Peace is absent”, we have to summarize that we made it through 74 minutes of brilliant music and it didn’t feel that long. Having 4 tracks over 10 minutes is highly surprising that we didn’t found ourselves almost falling asleep. But this is no coincidence since the band’s music is amazing and the emotions captured by the release are perfectly portrayed.
The band members know they stuff and they each give a great performance, the guest appearances are also very solid (Natalie Koskinen (Shape of Despair) and Peter Bjärgö (Arcana) do some vocal work). There is only once issue I have with the final mix, the stupid swishing sound on the cymbals is just plain annoying and many bands/producers like this effect. Overall, we loved this album and we hope you take the effort to find it and buy it when it’s finally release, if you are a fan of Death/Doom Metal you will not be disappointed.
Infernal Masquerade

Just from the 1st moments of listening this has the major influences of Anathema, Katatonia, Dan Swano's Moontower and Porcupine Tree. So Prog Doom is what I would like to call it. As I read some more Gary Griffith formerly the Guitarist of the amazing Morgion has joined there ranks. There is a layer of Complexity and an almost Gothic edge to what is going on here. The more I listen as the tracks go on there is very much a Draconian Times vibe from Paradise Lost as well. The Songs all have a driving beat and bass line going on with a very talented guitar and synth arrangement. The vocals are sung , spoken and slightly guttural which makes its all the more special. I will be the first to tell you this album gets Doomy as hell at times. Something I do adore. This is very impressive to say the least check them out ...
Absolute Zero Media Magazina

Within the first 90-seconds of Before the Rain’s latest opus, FRAIL, I knew I was going to love it. The gothic melancholy of the guitars, the pained vocals, the and the immediately pervasive sadness ensconce the listener so quickly, that you have no choice but to surrender to its weight. Okay, so maybe that’s a little dramatic, but so is FRAIL. The Portuguese quintet has been around since the late 90’s, building their own brand of ambient doom in the vein of My Dying Bride, early-Anathema and Paradise Lost, and in 2007 released the tragically underappreciated …ONE DAY LESS. Recently, the band revamped 3/5 of its lineup, and in the coup of the season recruited ex-Morgion vocalist Gary Griffith into the fold (SOLINARI rules, check it out kids), which is to say – wonderful. The resulting album, FRAIL, is 75 sulking, wrist slitting, pensive moon gazing bliss.
The whole gothic/doom genre became severely oversaturated in the late 90-early 00’s; too many bands jumping on the bandwagon, thinking that all you needed to do was write some dark, cheeky poetry and play in low, minor-keys to pass the bar. But the reality that it’s infinitely easier to get the formula wrong than it is to get it right, and its one of the main reasons was the aforementioned progenitors of the scene always stood far in front of the pack. Before the Rain gets the formula oh, so right. The first thing that stands out on FRAIL is the sheer massive scope of the album. When the shortest track on the album clocks in at 9-minutes, you know you’re in for a long haul, but how that journey is presented makes all the difference.
The songs are complex, sullen narratives with layers of subtle ambience that slowly assemble into skyscrapers of doom. But it’s not overwrought with sappy symphonics or female sopranos; it’s a reserved execution solely relying on the strengths of the five band members, and for me that speaks volumes. The other thing that stands out is Griffith’s vocal diversity – he’s got the smooth, clear delivery when the passages call for it, as well as the guttural death bark for the more aggressive components. Though the 6 tunes on FRAIL are all lengthy, ambient laments, they each bear different personality traits that allow for some balance throughout the album. “And the World Ends There” has an underlying bitterness, while “Breaking the Waves” gets downright angry before washing out into a simple guitar strain that feeds into the almost positive vibe of “A Glimpse Towards the Sun.” Simple nuances, yes, but wholly effective.
Maybe it’s just been too long since I’ve heard a band play this style of doom so exceptionally, but regardless, Before the Rain effortlessly hits all the right marks on FRAIL. It’s a powerful opus that recalls the best of the genre while giving it some new life. FRAIL should be available in early June, check out the band’s website for more info.
Rating: 4.5/5
Reviewer: Aaron Yurkiewicz
Metal Rules
"Save the planet... kill yourself"

EduardoMarinho
Metálico(a) Supremo(a)
Registado: sábado fev 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Before The Rain - "Frail" - 2011

Mensagempor EduardoMarinho » quinta jun 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Depois do bom concerto dado no Hard Club e das canções novas apresentadas ao vivo, estava com alguma expectativa para ouvir este "Frail".

Acabei agora mesmo de ouvi-lo pela primeira vez e, para já, esta é a ideia que tenho dele: é um trabalho que desenvolve a sonoridade do "One Day Less...", onde as melodias/solos de guitarra ganham um toque ainda mais post-rock e a voz limpa é mais predominante. Acho que o novo vocalista se adaptou muito bem à banda e que lhe oferece outra capacidade de manobra, não querendo com isto dizer que é superior (ou inferior) ao Borda D'Agua, o antigo vocalista.
A única queixa que tenho é a duração de algumas canções. Por vezes, acho que a banda se estica um bocado em repetições/devaneios e fazem com que basicamente me desligue do que estou a ouvir. No entanto, isto também pode passar com algumas audições.
The Hanged Man's Swansong:
Últimas atualizações: Entrevista com Sacred Sin

[BR11]
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: sexta set 19, 2008 10:03 pm
Contacto:

Mensagempor [BR11] » terça set 06, 2011 11:21 pm

^^UP^^

BEFORE THE RAIN - Frail / 2011

Imagem

Foram necessários quatro pesarosos anos para que o 2º álbum de originais dos setubalenses Before the Rain visse finalmente a luz do dia, embora “luz” não seja um substantivo muito apropriado para descrever esta obra, mas adiante. Apesar de algum secretismo temporal a rodear a substituição de Carlos Borda D'Água, o vocalista de serviço desde os seus primeiros dias, a banda ainda sofreu novas alterações, como a entrada de Carlos Monteiro para coadjuvar Valter Cunha nas guitarras e de Joaquim Aires para o lugar de baterista, apesar de serem músicos já com um passado relevante.
«Frail» mantém a ambiencia soturna e melancólica dos registos anteriores, incutindo-lhes maior complexidade e subtileza, à custa de uma melhor estratificação de sonoridades e rigor na composição. Ao longo de 6 temas arrastados, dramáticos e megalíticos, a performance de Gary Griffith dos infelizmente extintos Morgion, proporciona uma diversidade adicional ao conteúdo final, fortalecendo os momentos agressivos e incutindo uma maior categoria às componentes mais aveludadas.
Gravado na Fábrica do Som e produzido pelo próprio Valter Cunha, misturado em Inglaterra e masterizado por Jens Bogren, eis-nos perante mais um manancial de pesar, uma ode ao abandono e um legado à dor.
Set-11 [ 83 / 100 ]
other stuff

HFVM
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: sábado out 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Mensagempor HFVM » quarta set 07, 2011 8:35 am

Confesso que o anterior registo destes tipos passou-me ao lado mas este é dos melhores álbuns que ouvi este ano. Acho o álbum bastante equilibrado mas a "And The World Ends There" parte tudo. Já quando a ouvi no excelente concerto de abertura para os Katatonia no Hard Club fiquei :o .
Proudly Member of UnWise Fvcking Group
"A grandeza de uma nação pode ser julgada pelo modo que os seus animais são tratados."

Sir Sardine
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: segunda mai 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Mensagempor Sir Sardine » quarta set 07, 2011 9:41 am

Eu cá acho que está fantástico, mas não deixo de sentir falta do potentado de voz do Carlos. Não que o Gary tenho uma voz pior, simplesmente acho-a mais desenquadrada com a música em comparação ao álbum anterior.

Ainda assim é um dos melhores do ano até à data e suspeito que assim se vai manter.

Onesolo
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: domingo abr 11, 2004 1:52 am
Contacto:

Mensagempor Onesolo » quarta set 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Sir Sardine Escreveu:Eu cá acho que está fantástico, mas não deixo de sentir falta do potentado de voz do Carlos. Não que o Gary tenho uma voz pior, simplesmente acho-a mais desenquadrada com a música em comparação ao álbum anterior.

Ainda assim é um dos melhores do ano até à data e suspeito que assim se vai manter.

Mais ou menos o q sinto, apesar de n sentir q a voz do gary esteja desenquadrada, sinto sim é falta da voz do carlos...
"I've tried so hard to become human but all I feel is regret
inside this empty shell we're all so afraid of what we've become"
Follow me http://twitter.com/one_solo

-Edges-
Metálico(a) Supremo(a)
Registado: terça ago 05, 2003 8:42 pm
Contacto:

Mensagempor -Edges- » quarta set 07, 2011 8:57 pm

grande álbum! Gosto bastaste da forma como a voz do Gary encaixa nas musicas. O tema do split também esta muito bom, e se não me engano foi um tema gravado depois do álbum, por isso o futuro promete ;)
Pleasure = Pain x 2

Dante
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: quinta mai 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Mensagempor Dante » quarta set 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Ainda o ando a digerir e gosto mais a cada audição.

Já tinha dado para perceber a excelência das musicas na primeira parte de Katatonia na Incrível, por isso, musicalmente, confirma-se.

A voz... nunca me perdi de amores pelo Gary (salvo seja!) em Morgion, acho que é mais versátil que o Carlos mas não consegue criar "aquele" ambiente. Nos guturais só me vem à cabeça "isto com o Carlos é que era". Apesar disso, está-me a entrar melhor que aquilo que eu esperava.

Mas é sem dúvida um grande disco, penso que é uma questão de me habituar ás mudanças.

HelS
Metálico(a)
Registado: quarta abr 19, 2006 10:53 am
Contacto:

Mensagempor HelS » sábado set 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Dante Escreveu:(...) acho que é mais versátil que o Carlos mas não consegue criar "aquele" ambiente. Nos guturais só me vem à cabeça "isto com o Carlos é que era". Apesar disso, está-me a entrar melhor que aquilo que eu esperava.

Mas é sem dúvida um grande disco, penso que é uma questão de me habituar ás mudanças.

Concordo a 100% e esse é para mim o único "senão" do álbum. A voz do Carlos era muito mais cavernosa e dava um ar mais Doom à banda.
No entanto não é por isso que vai deixar de estar certamente entre os melhores do ano no género (nacional e internacional)

Memorial
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: segunda out 18, 2004 11:10 am
Contacto:

Re: Before The Rain - "Frail" (2011)

Mensagempor Memorial » sábado set 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Tenho ouvido, estou a gostar cada vez mais aos poucos.
a mais fixe...
HAIL !!!

death lover
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: domingo mar 28, 2010 12:45 am

Mensagempor death lover » sábado set 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Ouvi-o hoje e adorei.
Excelente álbum :metal:

joaonuno2009
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: terça jul 27, 2010 12:16 am
Contacto:

Mensagempor joaonuno2009 » sábado set 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Já ando a ouvi-lo à um porradão de meses e que álbum.

Mais um grande trabalho de Doom feito cá no burgo, ainda gostei mais que o primeiro
https://joaonvno2009.blogspot.com/

Bubonic
Metálico(a) Supremo(a)
Registado: sexta set 29, 2006 2:53 pm
Contacto:

Mensagempor Bubonic » domingo set 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Finalmente voltei a ouvir esta voz. Obrigado BTR.

Serenity
Metálico(a) Compulsivo(a)
Registado: sábado mar 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Mensagempor Serenity » terça set 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Ennesimo, nuovo centro pieno per la nostrana etichetta Avantgarde Music, che ormai da poco meno di vent’anni ci regala perle indiscusse di musica nera, decadente, deprimente, oscura ed estrema. Non è esattamente il periodo migliore per mettersi seduti ad ascoltare con calma un disco di doom-gothic metal dalle tinte plumbee e grigiastre, ma gli amanti di tali sonorità farebbero meglio a fare uno sforzo e ad andare a recuperare il qui presente “Frail”, secondo full-length album dei portoghesi Before The Rain, combo che all’attivo ha un demo, un primo disco (“…One Day Less” del 2007) ed uno split con i Shape Of Despair anch’esso da pochissimo pubblicato dalla Avantgarde. Quando si parla di doom-gothic metal non si può prescindere da certi nomi – ovvero quelli della Triade britannica, a cui aggiungiamo poi Katatonia e Novembre – e anche per i Before The Rain tocca tirarli in ballo, in quanto almeno nell’opener “And The World Ends There” e nella seguente “Shards” l’influenza My Dying Bride è molto evidente. Ma chiaramente il gruppo lusitano risente anche di quanto il filone finnico, Swallow The Sun su tutti, ha fatto di buono negli ultimi anni e, per finire, in “Frail” sono anche udibili richiami alla psichedelia depressa di band di origine latina quali ad esempio Mar De Grises, Nahemah e in parte The Foreshadowing. Ma va anche detto, per sminuire un attimo questa sequela di nomi poco utile a rendere giustizia al valore del quintetto di Setùbal, che i ragazzi esistono dal 1997 e che quindi non sono certo dei giovinastri alle prime armi. Ciò comporta dunque una forte personalità e una buona dose di originalità, oltre che ad un ottimo gusto compositivo: la band, infatti, non suona né troppo revival, né troppo moderna, ma riesce a miscelare i molti ingredienti messi sul piatto in questi anni dalle scene doom-gothic, post-core e alternative per darsi un tono ed un buon valore intrinseco, riuscendo così a risultare anche piuttosto personale. La voce di Gary Griffith – che ovviamente non è portoghese ed è proprio l’ex-vocalist dei Morgion – si sposa alla perfezione con l’alternanza epica e autunnale delle lunghe parti acustiche e delle sezioni pulite che si spezzano improvvisamente per dare spazio a pesanti riff doomy dal sapore catacombale, oppure a romantiche melodie che si ergono fluide e nostalgiche. Gli influssi new wave e darkwave nelle linee vocali del singer sono una caratteristica comune a diverse formazioni del genere, e anche in un lavoro come “Frail” si dimostrano fondamentali per la sua buona riuscita. C’è poco di marcio nel suono dei Before The Rain, in quanto la produzione è curatissima, ma state sicuri che quando c’è da pestare la band è in grado di farlo, sebbene in prevalenza troviamo i momenti più rilassati e pacifici. Dopo i fantastici francesi Ixion, quindi, un altro nome che la Avantgarde fa saltare fuori dal cilindro di un genere che non ha ancora finito di pennellare grandi affreschi di musica malinconica e riflessiva. Procuratevelo ora per quando scenderà presto il buio e Prima che arrivi La Pioggia…
7.5/10 @ metalitalia.com

Split dessas duas bandas que dispensam apresentações e dizer que é item indispensável na coleção de qualquer doomster é uma redundância.
São apenas duas faixas desse vinil 7″ e do lado A temos a faixa Estrella com os finlandeses do Shape of Despair, que realizam o cover da banda Lycia e podemos sentir a vocalista Natalie Koskinen mandando ver, pois em discos anteriores ela apenas cantava algumas poucas frases e fazia um “coral” pra dar o clima depressivo, e como essa gravação foi feita na ausência de um vocal masculino e seria de suma importância que ela soltasse a voz, e felizmente escolheram uma boa faixa e espero que no próximo lançamento do Shape ela cante como nesse material.
Enquanto a faixa do Shape te leva/eleva para um lugar místico, a faixa Somewhere not There do Before the Rain passa como um trator por cima do moribundo ouvinte, de tamanha é a potência da música, vocais guturais, linhas de guitarras melodiosas, e um vocal falado que me lembrou aquele mesmo vocal esmagador que outrora figurou num disco do Mourning Beloveth. Se você já conferiu o álbum Frail, essa faixa segue na mesma linha, caso não tenha o feito, e vais curtir esse split pra ir atrás do full lenght, posso dizer que esse split servirá de aperitivo para um quero mais para ambas as bandas.
5/5 @ funeralwedding.com

Fantásticos discos de Doom Metal têm sido lançados por bandas Portuguesas nos últimos anos. Process Of Guilt com "Renounce" e "Erosion"; Painted Black com "Cold Comfort"; Before The Rain com "...One Day Less" e o novíssimo "Frail", são os mais claros exemplos disso mesmo. Óptimos trabalhos também têm sido editados por bandas como Ava Inferi, Mourning Lenore, Why Angels Fall e A Dream Of Poe, o que faz com que a cena Doom nacional seja respeitada e comece a ter algum reconhecimento mesmo fora de portas. Uma das provas de que assim é, são as excelentes críticas que a imprensa musical internacional tem feito das bandas acima citadas e também de "Erosion" ter sido considerado pelos leitores do site internacional MetalStorm como melhor álbum de Doom Metal de 2009. A nível de imprensa nacional o reconhecimento da qualidade do Doom Português também é grande, quer em webzines, quer em revistas. Estará o público nacional e mesmo internacional a dar o mesmo valor a estas bandas que a imprensa? Não tenho uma resposta concreta para essa questão, penso que sim, mas só o tempo o dirá.
É Portugal terreno fértil para o Doom? A resposta está tão à vista de todos - ou aos ouvidos de todos os que quiserem escutar por si próprios - que nem vou respoder a isso. Quem tiver dúvidas ouça com toda a atenção este novo álbum dos Before The Rain e dedique algumas horas a este grande disco, que é um claro candidato a melhor disco nacional de 2011 e a melhor álbum de Doom Metal a nível internacional. A par de "Erosion" de 2009 dos Process Of Guilt, este tem tanto valor musical para ter o mesmo impacto no presente ano.
Doom Metal de altíssima qualidade, extremamente bem composto e executado, com riffs bem arrastados, melodias contagiantes e uma voz única e desarmante por parte do norte-americano ex-Morgion Gary Griffith, que agora é o frontman da banda. Músicas longas que vão invadindo lentamente a cabeça do ouvinte com partes belas atmosféricas e por vezes passagens post-rock, é assim o novo disco dos Before The Rain, demonstrando progressão em relaçao ao também excelente "...One Day Less".
Se são fãs de Doom/Death Metal e querem ouvir um grande disco, que embora não saindo em demasia das raízes do género, mostra evolução e uma identidade própria, não sei do que estão à espera para ouvirem este CD recentemente lançado pela Italiana Avantegarde. Das seis músicas que compõem este disco destacam-se a colossal "Breaking The Waves", a intensa "A Glimpse Towards The Sun" e a contagiante "Frail", faixa título deste magistral trabalho.
8.7/10 @ www.metalimperium.com

Di dischi del genere in questi ultimi tempi non se ne ascoltano molti, anzi. Non per l’originalità (che comunque non equivale automaticamente a bellezza), ma per la bellezza e l’incisività delle canzoni.
“Frail” è un disco doom/gothic metal, memore della scuola inglese da un lato (Paradise Lost su tutti), e devoto all’umore Katatonia dall’altro; quello che colpisce (oltre ad una produzione eccellente) di questo gruppo porteghese è la disarmante facilità nello scrivere ottime canzoni, alternando al meglio porzioni hard a vellutate sonorità. “Breaking the waves” e “A glimpse towards the sun” sono le specchio di quanto scritto, immergendoci in malinconiche atmosfere sospese come nel vuoto (echi dei Katatonia di “Discouraged ones” aleggiano sui brani), mentre la title track poggia su un portentoso lavoro di chitarre gotiche che piano piano si dilatano fino a diventare liquide. Proprio le chitarre sono il punto di forza principale di questo gruppo, con Valter Cunha assoluto protagonista del disco, arrivando ai livelli toccati da Gregor Mackintosh nel periodo d’oro dei Paradise Lost. Alla voce un veterano della scenda doom/death mondiale, Gary Griffith (Morgion) e come ciliegina sulla torta ecco le vocals degli ospiti Natalie Kosninen (Shape Of Despair) e Peter Bjàrgo (Arcana), il cui ottimo contributo nella conclusiva “Peace is absent” rende ancora più ombroso un disco già autunnale di suo.
Consigliato.
@ www.spectraweb.it

Unverkennbare Paradise Lost Gitarren, düstere Stimmung, Melancholie und getragene Songs zwischen Doom Metal und Rockmusik mit Anspruch. Das ist die Rezeptur mit der die Portugiesen ausziehen um im Stile großer Landsmänner und Entdecker ferne Länder zu erobern. Ohne auch nur eine Sekunde von ihrem Dogma abzuweichen, zeigen sich die Iberer auf den sechs wunderbaren Songs von "Frail" konsequent und fernab aller breitgetretenen Hitschemata. Langsam und ohne jeden Ansatz von unnützer Attitüde schleppen sich Before The Rain durch ihre doomigen Death Metal Songs voll akustischer Finesse, abgrundtiefer Schwärze und zerbrechlichem Gefühl.
Die Melodien laden zum Träumen ein, die Stimmung rät zur Verzweiflung. Die singenden Gitarrenläufe schweben über allem, und lassen uns an die frühen 90er Jahre denken. An Tage, wo Bands wie Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride oder Anathema die Melancholie und Schwermut entdeckten, ihre düsteren Kompositionen und Death Metal Vibes mit Feeling und Atmosphäre paarten, um Genre Klassiker zu kreieren. Genau in deren Fahrwasser, beladen mit zusätzlichen Vorräten aus dem Lager jüngerer Katatonia oder Amorphis, bricht nun "Frail" auf, um sich die Liebe und Zuneigung der Fans zu erschleichen. Dabei machen es die Portugiesen ihren Hörern aufgrund ausufernder Stimmungsbögen zwar nicht immer einfach, wer sich aber konzentriert und behutsam auf überlange Düsternummern wie den Titelsong, das post-rockige angehauchte "A Glimpse Towards The Sun" oder das todtraurige Doom Monster "And The World Ends Here" einlässt, der kann und der wird sich mit Before The Rain arrangieren, und intensive Stunden mit "Frail" verbringen.
Vielleicht sind Before The Rain mit ihrem zweiten Album, einem intensiven, wie auch brutalen, in erster Linie aber niveauvollen Stück Musik, noch nicht am Zenith angekommen. Vielleicht werden die Portugiesen in Zukunft noch kompakter und ziel gerichteter agieren. Ich für meinen Teil empfinde "Frail" in jedem Fall als klasse Album und ein höchst atmosphärisches Stück düsterer Rockmusik, das ich Death Metal Fans mit Hang zur Melancholie ebenso ans Herz legen würde, wie Gothic Metal Freaks, Doom Jüngern und Post Rock Genießern.
In diesem Jahr ist Before The Rain mit "Frail" ohne Frage eines der düsteren Highlights, neben dem jüngst erschienenen Ghost Brigade Album (zum Review) gelungen!
8/10 @ www.darkscene.at

Imagem
@ Zero Tolerance

Have you ever wondered what are the signs of the coming rain? I can surely count three: the calm before, the melancholic grey color of the sky and the light but helpless whisper of the wind. Well, the Portuguese Death / Doom quintet BEFORE THE RAIN added more inside their sophomore album, entitled “Frail”, four years after the very good debut “…One Day Less”. Following the footprints of MY DYING BRIDE, ANATHEMA (late) and KATATONIA, BEFORE THE RAIN add a Mediterranean note to the British and depressive pattern, making it more alluring and accessible, even for Metal fans of whom the specific genre is not their cup of tea. In addition, ex-MORGION vocalist Gary Griffith has replaced Carlos Borda D’ Agua behind the mic hence BEFORE THE RAIN have a more central European ‘air’ in their sound. Let’s see what this air brings to the band’s next step.
“Frail” can easily look “Judgement” straight in the eye raising the middle finger in front of its face. It stands solid, mature and settled down to its feet, without having something to jealous from all those mid 90s’ Doom / Death Metal releases which marked those years back then. Despite of the long duration of the six tracks (the shortest counts 9 minutes), “Frail” succeeds its purpose to the maximum and creates a romantic but depressive veil around your neck that if you are gonna let it, it will be able to embrace and smother you at the same time. The opening “And The World Ends There” doesn’t show the album’s merciless face from the beginning, but after a while, “Breaking The Waves” grabs the reins and reveals the ANATHEMA-esque influences, so delicate and respectful that the guitars’ weeping down tempo riffage bows down to its majesty. I have to admit that sometimes the long-drawn out tunes may be long enough, or even useless, but here they fit perfectly with the album’s atmosphere, creating that insupportable fustiness which runs over every corner of it.
The alternation between growling and clean vocals fits like glove to BEFORE THE RAIN’s sound and the use of scattered female vocals where necessary, makes even more melancholic and emotional the entire atmosphere. King of the album is the self-titled track which carries a “Fragile Dreams” breeze ‘in its hair’ and a Nick Holmes-ish heavy timbre in its melody; nevertheless, doesn’t ‘copy / paste’ the Brits, thanks to its personal, internal character and Griffith’s distinctive and remarkable reading. “Peace Is Absent” drops the curtain with a solid bass-driven melody and the 74 minutes of our journey to BEFORE THE RAIN’s world has just ended as melancholic as they started
Listening to “Frail”, I’m sure that you are going to discover that it’s not only the rain dismal and mournful; it’s also what lies before.
8/10 @ www.metalkaoz.com
"Save the planet... kill yourself"

Pedrof
Ultra-Metálico(a)
Registado: sexta mar 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Mensagempor Pedrof » domingo nov 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Só agora ouvi este álbum, e posso afirmar que gostei bastante.

Tomei o meu primeiro contacto com a banda quando abriram para Katatonia há um ano atrás, e na altura gostei bastante do concerto, e fiquei à espera do lançamento deste álbum.
Tenho lhe dedicado algumas audições no últimos dias, e estou a achar isto excelente. Está um álbum bastante intenso, melancólico, belo... penso que estes são os adjectivos que melhor definem este álbum.
De destacar ainda a abundância da voz limpa, que na minha opinião resulta muito bem.

Contudo, também não posso de deixar de concordar com o EduardoMarinho no que toca à duração das músicas. Acho que em algumas músicas exageram um pouco na duração das mesmas, sem grande necessidade. Mas isto é só um pequeno pormenor, que não tira nenhum mérito ao álbum.

Um dos álbuns nacionais (e não só) do ano :metal:

Voltar para “Arquivo 2012 - 2003”

Quem está ligado:

Utilizadores neste fórum: Nenhum utilizador registado e 8 visitantes