6. Beyond Sacred Rules
7. Common Ground
8. Sweet Opium
9. Salam
10. Call From Within
11. Lightened Heart
12. The Eight Doors of Jannah
13. Amaloun Jadid II (Edit Version)

O trabalho anterior andava mais pelo melodic death com influências orientais. Neste segundo trabalho, desenvolvem mais o lado oriental e adicionam uma presença mais constante de vocais femininos. Se fossem confundidos com os Orphaned Land em alguns momentos, não era de estranhar.

Sound: I was a big fan of Arkan's previous release, Hilal, so I've been waiting for this. After giving it a listen-through, it seems that their musical arc has gone from pretty standard death-metal in Burning Flesh, through heavy-folk and melodic-death-metal in Hilal, to Salam, an album that has Oriental vibes embedded in the core of every song. And I suppose that's the difference between Hilal and Salam, if you thought Hilal wasn't heavy enough and diverged from pure brutality too often, then about half of Salam won't satisfy your bloodlust. However, Salam is way more complicated and layered, plus this seems like the album that Arkan had been building up to.

Over the past few years, Arkan have toured with bands including Septic Flesh and Orphaned Land. I'd say that both of these bands have had an influence on their sound, plus the tour with Orphaned Land was a tour against racism - fitting in well with the title of the album 'Salam', which means 'peace' in Arabic. They've announced that they aren't a religious or Islamic band, but want their fans in the places of the world that are susceptible to indoctrination and bigotry (I wonder what places aren't) to hear their message of peace - and playing with Orphaned Land has given them a real outlet to convey those feelings.

To me, is seems that Salam is at once an expression of rage at the results of ignorance and a herald for peace. Arkan accomplish this through death-growls, blast-beats and crushing riffs, melded with Oriental melodies, acoustics and the singing of their female band member, Sarah. Actually, if Opeth had a Middle-Eastern influence and a female singer, they could sound something like Arkan. // 9

Lyrics and Singing: The really great thing about Salam is how there never seems to be a disconnection between the metal and Arkan's Oriental influences. The Oud is used in a layer underneath a lot of the songs, and when the guitars overwhelm it, the Oriental riffing patterns are continued. Most songs are a multi-layered journey. Kobi Farhi, from Orphaned Land, volunteers his vocals to the track Deus Vult. He begins the song in spoken Hebrew, over acoustics, then the song launches into the singing of Sarah, followed by the growls of Florent, followed by the singing of Kobi… and so it goes – all over Middle-Eastern/North African inspired riffs using distortion as well as acoustics. The vocals themselves are also occasionally layered, with Kobi and Florent both performing their extreme vocals over each other in Deus Vult, and, in The Eight Doors of Jannah, Florent and Sarah meld growls and singing. It all combines to create a mystical and otherworldly intensity that flows through the album, and I haven't heard anything like it. // 9

Impression: The songs that really stood out to me are Origins, Inner Selves, Deus Vult, Sweet Opium and The Eight Doors of Jannah – but that may be because they are the heaviest. Other songs worth noting are Jerusalem – Sufferpolis, which ends in a cool, melancholic solo, and Call From Within that has a really haunting quality to it.

Overall, I'd say Salam is a superb example of Folk (or the Oriental sub-genre if we want to be technical, but what's the point) Metal, and can't be compared to much of anything mainstream at this point in time – definitely something worth hearing to see if it's down your alley. // 9

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/ ... index.html

Imagem

EduardoMarinho
Metálico(a) Supremo(a)
Registado: sábado fev 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Arkan - "Salam" (2011)

Mensagempor EduardoMarinho » quarta jun 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Para quem gosta de Orphaned Land, como é o meu caso, acho que este disco vale a pena ser ouvido. Apesar de não ser uma cópia chapada, as influências dos israelitas na música destes franceses são mais do que notórias. Aliás, as parecenças chegam a ser tantas que às vezes até parece mesmo que estamos a ouvir Orphaned Land, como na "Deus Vult", onde o próprio Kobi (vocalista de OL, para quem não sabe) participa.

Creio que uma das grandes diferenças entre as bandas consiste na forma como as guitarras são usadas. Se os Orphaned Land fazem uso do grande guitarrista e compositor que têm (o Yossi) para criar leads melódicos e super cativantes, os Arkan usam o instrumento de seis cordas para adicionar peso à sua música e este acabou por ser um dos aspectos de que menos gostei no "Salam". Existe pouca variação e, ao fim de 3 ou 4 canções, começa a dar a sensação de reciclado.
The Hanged Man's Swansong:
Últimas atualizações: Entrevista com Sacred Sin

SolitudeAeternus
Metálico(a) Compulsivo(a)
Registado: terça jul 08, 2008 6:46 pm
Contacto:

Re: Arkan - "Salam" (2011)

Mensagempor SolitudeAeternus » segunda dez 05, 2011 12:55 am

Arkan - "Salam" Review

"Parece contraditório, mas na música, tal como em qualquer outra das artes, quanto mais desgastado está um género ou subgénero, maior é a vontade de tentar explorar outros caminhos, ou ferramentas de modo a sobressair no meio de tantos outros nomes. Umas vezes essa procura soa natural, outras mais forçada. Ora pegando num subgénero já por demais explorado como o female fronted metal, é natural que se queira evitar ser o novo clone de Nightwish, Within Temptation ou Theatre of Tragedy. Os Arkan, socorrendo-se das suas origens orientais, embora oriundos da França, apresentam-nos uma proposta bastante interessante, e acima de tudo refrescante.
Talvez a surpresa não seja tão grande para os amantes de bandas como os Orphaned Land ou Aghora, mas mesmo assim, aquilo que ouvimos em Salam, não é de todo mais do mesmo.(...)"

Ler a review completa em: http://www.metalimperium.com/2011/11/ar ... eview.html

Voltar para “Arquivo 2012 - 2003”

Quem está ligado:

Utilizadores neste fórum: Nenhum utilizador registado e 5 visitantes